Calling all artists! It’s time to show off your creative talents. To celebrate the launch of Misty Mint Magazine, we’re hosting a logo design contest!
Using the name “Misty Mint” and the magazine’s mission statement as inspiration, design a logo for Misty Mint Magazine! This logo will be featured across all Misty Mint platforms, including our print & digital publications, website, and social media.
Artists ages 5-19 are welcome to submit, and designs are limited to one entry per artist. If you submit more than one design, only the first design will be considered. If you do come up with multiple designs, submit the one that you like best!
Designs may be hand- or digitally drawn, though they must be able to fit within a 6×6 inch square or 600×600 pixel canvas. Files are accepted in PDF, PNG, or JPEG format, and must be two-dimensional & scannable. Please be sure to name your submission in the following format: Last-name, First-name.
Within your design, the following elements must be included:
- The journal title, “Misty Mint Magazine,” or the journal’s initials, “MMM,” must be incorporated into the logo design.
- A graphic that captures the mission & essence of Misty Mint Magazine.
Artists are free to create their design using any materials they wish! However, please only submit original works. Entries that include copyrighted imagery, such as photographs or visual art, will be disqualified.
Misty Mint Magazine reserves the right to adapt your design to fit the layout requirements of the publication. This includes but is not limited to adapting your work into a digital file or adjusting the color of your design. Misty Mint Magazine will NOT make significant alterations (for example, censoring certain images or changing the shape of your design) to your work without consulting the artist first.
The logo design submissions window is open now and will close on October 15, 2022, at 11:59 pm PT.
The winner will be announced at the teen Stage Fright event, as well as on our social media platforms, on November 30, 2022. The winner will be contacted one week prior to the announcement date, on November 23. Please do not contact us ahead of that date.
Feeling stuck for Ideas? Start here!
When you hear the words “Misty Mint,” the first thing you think of may be the bright, refreshing color of mint. But did you know that mint is also a plant, a type of candy, and the term for creating something new (especially an idea, or a work of art)?
Likewise, what does the word “misty” look like to you? Sound like? What color is it? What textures does it have? Don’t be afraid to think outside the box!
Here are some design tips to keep in mind, too:
- Keep your design simple and clean, yet recognizable! Others should be able to clearly see and interpret your design, even from 10 feet away.
- Use bold, easy-to-see lines and letters. Using a sharpie or permanent marker is a great way to make your lines stand out!
- If you choose to use color in your design, limit it to 2-3 colors at most! Too many colors may make your design feel cluttered.
- Similarly, don’t be afraid of empty space! Allow your shapes to stand out for themselves.
Take some time to look at other logos – What feelings do they inspire? How does the image tie back to the mission, branding, and title of the organization?
For example, the iconic Nike swoosh logo is simple, yet sends a strong, meaningful message about the brand—not only was the logo inspired by the Greek goddess & namesake Nike, but the thick-to-thin stroke conveys a sense of speed and movement that is associated with their footwear. What other logos stand out to you? Think about what makes them unique and meaningful, and then think about how you can make your logo unique and meaningful, too.
Logo submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Artistic Merit: Is the design memorable and easy to understand?
- Creativity: Is the design unique and recognizable?
- Theme: How well does the graphic encapsulate the mission, title, and product of Misty Mint Magazine?
- Longevity: Will the design hold up over a long period of time? Can the logo be used over and over across different mediums and platforms?
Logos will be judged by Hugo House staff, alongside Misty Mint Youth Editorial Team. Judges will select the winning logo based on how well the design fulfills the judging criteria.
The winner of the Misty Mint Magazine logo contest will receive a $25 gift card to the bookstore of their choice and a scholarship to our winter Scribes-O-Rama event, which includes the launch party for Misty Mint Magazine Issue 1!
Three runner-up artists will also each receive a $25 gift card to the bookstore of their choice.