Language, Beauty, & Truth
Genres: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry
What does it mean for our writing to be true? Is the truth beautiful? Can beauty save us? As the title might suggest, this course examines the various relationships between language, beauty, and truth. Our exploration will be guided by texts from writers and thinkers such as Aldous Huxley, Audre Lorde, William Carlos Williams, and Emil Cioran. This is a generative seminar. Along the way, students will produce their own work inspired by the texts and discussions in class.
ADDITIONAL CLASS DETAILS:
- This class includes:
- Generative Writing: students create new work during class or from assignments.
- Craft Discussion: teachers and students explore essential elements of the craft.
- Reading: class engages in close study of one or more works.
- Feedback in class: Both peer and instructor feedback given.
- Work outside of class:
- Optional writing or reading outside of class.
- 1-2 hours of writing or reading outside of class.
No class on 2/20/2024
- December 4: Scholarship Donation Day
- December 5: Member registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 12: General registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 18: Last day of Early Bird pricing
Hugo House will only process refund requests that are submitted 5 business days or more before the class start date. To request a refund, log in to your account, go to “My Account,” select the “Orders” tab on the left-hand side, click the appropriate order, and request a refund for your specific class. Administrative fees apply. Please see our full refund policy here.
Class sessions may be recorded if a session falls on a holiday, or if a student has access needs. Class recordings are not guaranteed.
We do not tolerate racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic or any other oppressive behaviors, regardless of who commits them. Please check out our full community guidelines by clicking here. If an instance of community guidelines are violated and not resolved within the classroom, students may let us know by filling out the student incident report.
Classes may be cancelled if less than 5 students are enrolled within 10 days before the class start date. If for any reason Hugo House needs to cancel a class, students can choose between a full credit or full refund.
Make a Donation
Donations made throughout the year help fund our programs and operations.