Thanks for your interest in teaching at Hugo House! Our teachers are contracted for individual classes and we review class proposals every quarter.
We’re looking for talented, enthusiastic, generous instructors in all genres—nonfiction, fiction, poetry and performance (spoken word, song, stage, screen), as well as reading classes (please see our catalog for examples). We especially encourage applications from writers and teachers of color, and teachers with diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences, such as varied ability, religion, ancestry, language, national origin, culture, age, gender, and sexual orientation, in order to best serve a diverse student body.
Before you send us a proposal, please familiarize yourself with our current class offerings to get a sense of the course description format and the types of courses we offer. We love seeing new ideas and classes that are of the moment in addition to craft basics. When you’re ready, please send the following:
- 1-2 page CV
- We’re interested to know about your teaching experience and your approach to teaching. In two paragraphs, tell us about a class you taught recently. Specifically, tell us one thing that went well and one thing you wish you’d done differently.
- Please include a syllabus for this class and tell us in a few paragraphs (1-2 pages) how you’re going to approach this class (what content you’re going to cover and how students will engage with each other), why this topic is something you’re excited about, and how this class might be similar to or different from other classes we’ve offered.
Please send materials through our Teacher Portal.
Course Proposal Application Schedule
- Submissions for Winter 2022 must be received by July 13 for catalog consideration. Winter quarter runs January 10–March 31, 2022.
- Submissions for Spring 2022 must be received by October 3 for catalog consideration. Spring quarter runs April 4–June 10, 2022.
- Submissions for Summer 2022 must be received by January 10 for catalog consideration. Summer quarter runs June 13–September 2, 2022.
- Submissions for Fall 2022 must be received by March 20 for catalog consideration. Fall quarter runs September 12–December 16, 2022.