Find your inner writer.
Scribes Summer Camps provide young writers the opportunity to participate in week-long, all-day workshops, during which you can focus on, dig deep into, and nurture your inner writer. You’ll work alongside instructors who are published writers and educators themselves, as well as guest teaching artists.
Registration & Tuition
Every camp offers the option to pay at 30%, 60%, 90%, or 100% of the registration amount. Just click on the pay option you prefer when you register online! If you are having trouble, please contact us at 206.322.7030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can help you register over the phone. Once a session fills, you can sign up for a waitlist spot online and you’ll be notified as spots open.
Who Can Register
Hugo House seeks to open the literary world to everyone who loves books or has a drive to write. We are honored to work with writers of all skill levels and backgrounds. Camp age distinctions are for students who are entering those grades in fall 2022.
What to Expect
What is the COVID-19 health policy for Scribes summer camps?
Please review Hugo House’s COVID-19 health policy page for the most up-to-date requirements for in-person camps. If any changes are made prior to the camp, we will inform all registrants via email.
What’s the daily schedule like?
Scribes camps will start at 10 am and end at 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Every group takes a one-hour lunch break around noon. Additionally, we are excited to offer half-day camp sessions. Please check each camp for its schedule.
What kinds of activities will happen during the camp?
Camps are facilitated by one or two teaching artists who design customized curricula for their group. Depending on the camp, you’ll read and discuss poems, essays, short stories, screenplays, and/or comics; brainstorm, freewrite, and story map; write and edit; and share your work with the community.
Is this a writing camp to help me get into a college?
Hugo House fosters a love of writing and reading. We do not organize around school curriculum or focus camp goals on preparing students for standardized tests or college admissions essays. Our instructors strive to help you tap into your creativity, develop your craft of writing, and become a more astute reader.
Do I need to be at a certain skill level to attend?
Nope! Hugo House seeks to open the literary world to everyone who loves books or has the drive to write. We are honored to work with writers of all skill levels, ages, and backgrounds.
What You’ll Need
You should have paper or a notebook, pens, and pencils on hand. If you’re attending an online camp, you’ll also need to be able to connect to Zoom.
COVID-19 Health Policy Details
Hugo House is dedicated to creating a safe space for young writers to participate in our in-person Scribes Summer Camps.
About Vaccination Status
- All youth teaching artists and Hugo House staff are fully vaccinated. “Fully vaccinated” means at least 14 days after the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or at least 14 days after a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine.
- We highly encourage youth students to be vaccinated. At this time, the Department of Health does not currently require vaccination for youth under 18 years of age to participate in our youth programs. If a youth under 18 years of age is not vaccinated, we encourage families to explore our online youth programs options.
Policies for In-Person Youth programs
- All students will be required to wear masks at all times (except when actively eating or drinking). Masks should be worn so that they fully cover your nose and chin. The CDC currently recommends N95 masks as the most effective against the spread of COVID-19. Masks should be worn so that they fully cover your nose and chin. The CDC currently recommends N95 masks as the most effective against the spread of COVID-19.
- All youth students will be required to take a health screening prior to entering the building in the form of a verbal questionnaire. Thermometers for external temperature checks are also available on the premises if needed.
- Drop-off and pick-up will take place outside of the building. Only Hugo House staff, teachers, and students may enter the building.
- All personnel inside the building will be required to follow social distancing guidelines, including wearing masks at all times (except when eating), washing and sanitizing hands, etc.
- When inside the building, practice physical distancing. Give other people on-site ~6 feet of space when possible, at the front desk and using the restrooms.
- No food is allowed during class time, but feel free to bring your water bottle. Water bottles can be refilled at the drinking fountain.
- Please stay home if you are experiencing symptoms or have a positive COVID-19 test.
- Only one youth program will take place inside the Hugo House building at a time. A maximum of two programs (adult & youth classes or events) will be in progress in the building at a time, and each will use a different space.
- Scribes Summer Camp registration is limited to 12 students max for in-person camps.
- Classrooms will be provided with hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes.
- Windows will be open as much as possible to assist with ventilation.
- Breaks for snacks and lunch will take place outside as much as possible.
- Hugo House will not be open to the public during this time. The Salon will remain closed, and restrooms will not be open to the public.
- We are focused on safely executing our Youth Education classes for all students and staff in compliance with the Department of Health Guidelines for Youth Development Programs.
If COVID-19 Symptoms Show and/or an Outbreak Occurs
- If any personnel (student, teacher, or staff) develops COVID-19 symptoms, they will be sent home immediately. Please note that you will be required to pick up your child if this occurs for them.
- If you, your child, or someone your child has been in contact with develops symptoms of COVID-19 and/or tests positive for COVID-19, your child may be required to quarantine, in accordance with the policies outlined by the Department of Health.
- Hugo House is obligated to report any possible COVID-19 outbreak to the Department of Health. A COVID-19 outbreak is considered when the following have been met: There are two or more COVID-19 cases among students or staff. The cases have a symptom onset or positive test result within a 14-day period of each other. The cases are epidemiologically linked. The cases do not share a household. The cases are not identified as close contacts of each other in another setting during the investigation.
While Hugo House is taking precautions and enforcing safety measures, we cannot guarantee zero risk; a risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public setting. By entering the building, students and teachers accept the risk of exposure and knowingly waive and release Hugo House from any liability related to COVID-19.
Protocols will be updated as we progress and learn more. These policies are subject to change.
All in-person camps will move online if needed to comply with any government-issued mandate/change and/or for the safety of all personnel.
If you have questions related to in-person classes and our visitor policies during this time, contact us at email@example.com.
We have limited need-based scholarships available, and will do our best to ensure our programming is accessible to everyone, regardless of financial conditions. Please see the scholarship application for more information. A spot will be reserved for you while we review your application.Apply for a scholarship
If you need to cancel or transfer a Scribes registration, the following schedule applies:
- Cancellations receive a full refund up to 3 weeks before the session start date.
- If a registration is cancelled after 3 weeks before the session start date, a refund will be issued less a fee of 20% of tuition paid.
- 2 weeks before the session start date, transfers to another session may be issued depending on session availability.
- 7 days or less before a session start date, refunds or transfers are not available.
Hugo House cannot provide refunds, transfers, or offer makeup sessions for sessions a Scribe might miss. If Hugo House has to cancel a session, you will receive a full refund.