Works in Progress (In-Person)
Works in Progress is Hugo House's semi-monthly open mic series inclusive of diverse formats and storytelling crafts. Read your work—poetry, fiction, essays, memoirs, plays, music, comedy, and more—and connect with our literary community!
We are actively cultivating a low-pressure, welcoming environment for readers and guests of all skill levels and literary experience. We especially encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and other marginalized voices to take the mic at Works in Progress.
Announcing a new format!
Hugo House invites our WIP community to join us before the open mic portion of the event for an all-new writing group!
Doors to the Salon will now open at 5:00 pm PT for interested writers who want to come early, carve out some sacred writing time, and share ideas on craft and content. This is an open, unstructured space intended to create opportunities for folks to build community and enjoy some quality time writing their own works-in-progress! Anticipate complimentary snacks and beverages!
New Open Mic Guidelines
- Reading is open to all!
- You don’t have to read. Guests and audience members are encouraged to attend.
- Sign-up for open mic begins at 6:15 pm. Only one sign up per person.
- The open mic is divided into two sets of readings.
- There is a brief intermission, approx. 15 minutes, between the 2 groups of readers.
- The first 20 slots will be allotted to participants on a first-come, first-serve basis. All other interested readers can offer their name for a chance to be selected at random to participate in the final 5 performances.
- Each reader has 5 minutes to read.
The House bar will be open to serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
We encourage your feedback on how we can continue to build an inclusive and engaging environment at these events! Please reach out to us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .