Hugo House is Hiring: Bookkeeper – Part Time
The person in this position is a key Hugo House staff member, responsible for the full account payable cycle and ensuring payments to vendors and independent contractors are processed in an efficient and timely manner. This position will also maintain records and tracking for contract signatures and W9’s.
Payment of invoices to vendors and independent contractors based on check requests approved by supervisors. Reconcile with AP tracking documents to ensure accuracy.
- Code expenses into QuickBooks to the correct GL account based on the nature of the expense.
- Print Checks. Obtain authorized signatures for checks and distribute. Maintain tracking documents to ensure all vendors and independent contractors have been paid.
- Receive weekly downloaded credit card expenses and code into QuickBooks. Ensure all receipts have been filed with a copy of the credit card purchase request form.
- Ensure accurate filing/recordkeeping for all AP payments and backup documentation.
- Review stale checks and reprocess as necessary.
- Maintain tracking documents to ensure all vendors and independent contractors have submitted proper paperwork before services are rendered.
- Send out contracts for signature via DocuSign. Set up new vendors in QuickBooks before payment, obtaining W-9 forms and coding as 1099 vendors when appropriate.
- Provide other administrative support and bookkeeping tasks for Hugo House and its programs, as needed
To learn more about this position, or to submit your resume and cover letter, please follow the link below to Hugo House’s Submittable page.
Teach at Hugo House
Thanks for your interest in teaching at Hugo House! Our teachers are contracted for individual classes. We have a strong pool of teachers, and we are always interested in finding the best creative-writing instructors. To apply to teach at the House, please familiarize yourself with our class offerings then submit the following:
- 1-2 page CV
- a 1 page statement of your teaching philosophy and how you’ll apply it at Hugo House
- two sample course descriptions (no more than a page each) modeled after our online course catalog
Please send materials in a single Word or PDF document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our education team reviews applications quarterly.
Summer and Fall Application Schedule
- Submissions for course proposals for Summer 2020 will be open February 3–March 2, 2020.
Summer quarter runs June 14–Sept. 5.
- Submissions for course proposals for Fall 2020 will be open April 20–May 18, 2020.
Fall quarter runs Sept. 13–Dec. 19, 2020.
When hiring teachers, we consider a combination of prior teaching experience, publication history, strength of teaching evaluations from either the House or other institutions, strength of the submitted teaching philosophy, and active engagement in the literary world. Once we hire a candidate to teach, we will discuss class booking. When selecting courses, we are looking for classes that fill a curricular gap. We consider a balance of genre, skill level required of the students, platform (such as workshop, generative, reading), and student feedback.
Hugo House especially encourages applications from writers and teachers of color, and teachers with diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences, such as disability, religion, ancestry, language, national origin, culture, age, gender, and sexual orientation in order to best serve a diverse student body.
If you would like to get involved, please consider volunteering.