The Artful Essayist
Genres: Nonfiction, Essay
Open to all levels
Like poetry, literary nonfiction opens the reader to an 'aha' experience. Whether the essay is about art, your family, fly fishing, or AI, the essay distinguishes itself by its layers of deeper meaning—surprising ourselves as well as our readers. This workshop will help you cultivate your voice, tune in to the "ear" of language, and find a shape for your unique essay. You will leave this class with a rough draft of your artful essay. For the novice and advanced writer alike.
ADDITIONAL CLASS DETAILS:
- This class includes:
- Generative Writing: students create new work during class or from assignments.
- Workshop: students submit work for critique from the teacher and class.
- Reading: class engages in close study of one or more works.
- Craft Discussion: teachers and students explore essential elements of the craft.
- Feedback in class: Both peer and instructor feedback given.
- Work outside of class: 1-2 hours of writing or reading outside of class.
- December 4: Scholarship Donation Day
- December 5: Member registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 12: General registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 18: Last day of Early Bird pricing
A chapter of Christine Hemp’s memoir, Wild Ride Home, was recently published in The New York Times. Her poems and essays have also appeared in Salon.com, Iowa Review, Psychology Today, and on NPR. She believes that to write well, we must live well, not in terms of "professional success" or achieving the "perfect" essay. story, or poem, but in how we embrace the unfamiliar, the uncomfortable, and the ecstatic. Only then can we offer our readers the truths they thirst for.
Hugo House will only process refund requests that are submitted 5 business days or more before the class start date. To request a refund, log in to your account, go to “My Account,” select the “Orders” tab on the left-hand side, click the appropriate order, and request a refund for your specific class. Administrative fees apply. Please see our full refund policy here.
Class sessions may be recorded if a session falls on a holiday, or if a student has access needs. Class recordings are not guaranteed.
We do not tolerate racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic or any other oppressive behaviors, regardless of who commits them. Please check out our full community guidelines by clicking here. If an instance of community guidelines are violated and not resolved within the classroom, students may let us know by filling out the student incident report.
Classes may be cancelled if less than 5 students are enrolled within 10 days before the class start date. If for any reason Hugo House needs to cancel a class, students can choose between a full credit or full refund.
Make a Donation
Donations made throughout the year help fund our programs and operations.