Voice & Tone in Persona Poems
Open to all levels
What is your poetic voice and how do you cultivate it through craft? What's your "default" tone for your poems, and how might you shake that up? Join us to discover these answers through the persona poem. In the first two classes, we'll study poems written in the voices of objects, people, and nature to gain deeper understanding of voice and tone, with time for sharing in-class writing. In the final class, we'll workshop our poems.
ADDITIONAL CLASS DETAILS:
- Feedback in class: Both peer and instructor feedback given.
- Work outside of class: 1-2 hours of writing or reading outside of class.
- This class includes:
- Generative Writing: students create new work during class or from assignments.
- Workshop: students submit work for critique from the teacher and class.
- Craft Discussion: teachers and students explore essential elements of the craft.
- Reading: class engages in close study of one or more works.
- December 4: Scholarship Donation Day
- December 5: Member registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 12: General registration opens at 10:30 am PT
- December 18: Last day of Early Bird pricing
Melanie Figg is a poet and essayist, currently working on a hybrid memoir. Her award-winning poetry collection, Trace, was named one of the year’s "Best Indie Books" by Kirkus Reviews. She's received grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Maryland State Arts Council, and others, and has had work published in dozens of literary journals, including The Iowa Review, Nimrod, The Rumpus, Hippocampus, and the American Journal of Poetry. As a certified professional coach, Melanie offers women’s writing retreats and works remotely with writers on their manuscripts as well as their creative process.
Hugo House will only process refund requests that are submitted 5 business days or more before the class start date. To request a refund, log in to your account, go to “My Account,” select the “Orders” tab on the left-hand side, click the appropriate order, and request a refund for your specific class. Administrative fees apply. Please see our full refund policy here.
Class sessions may be recorded if a session falls on a holiday, or if a student has access needs. Class recordings are not guaranteed.
We do not tolerate racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic or any other oppressive behaviors, regardless of who commits them. Please check out our full community guidelines by clicking here. If an instance of community guidelines are violated and not resolved within the classroom, students may let us know by filling out the student incident report.
Classes may be cancelled if less than 5 students are enrolled within 10 days before the class start date. If for any reason Hugo House needs to cancel a class, students can choose between a full credit or full refund.
Make a Donation
Donations made throughout the year help fund our programs and operations.