Works in Progress (In-Person)
Works in Progress is Hugo House's semi-monthly open mic series inclusive of diverse formats and storytelling crafts. Read your work—poetry, fiction, essays, memoirs, plays, music, comedy, and more—and connect with our literary community!
We are actively cultivating a low-pressure, welcoming environment for readers and guests of all skill levels and literary experience. We especially encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and other marginalized voices to take the mic at Works in Progress.
Announcing a new NEW format! Hugo House invites our WIP community to join us before the open mic portion of the event for an all-new writing group!
Doors to the Salon will now open at 5:00 pm PT for interested writers who want to come early, carve out some sacred writing time, and share ideas on craft and content. This open, unstructured space is intended to create opportunities for folks to build community and enjoy some quality time writing their own works-in-progress! Anticipate complimentary donuts and coffee!
Open Mic Guidelines
- Reading is open to all!
- You don’t have to read. Guests and audience members are encouraged to attend.
- Sign-up for open mic begins at 5:00pm and will be rolling up until event start at 7:00pm. Only one sign-up per person.
- The open mic is divided into two sets of readings.
- There is a brief intermission approx. 15 minutes between the two groups of readers.
- All 25 reading slots will be randomly selected from a fishbowl.
- Each reader has 5 minutes to read. Be mindful of your excerpt length and practice before hand if you can!
The House bar will be open to serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
We encourage your feedback on how we can continue to build an inclusive and engaging environment at these events! Please reach out to us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .