Works in Progress (In-Person) – CANCELLED
Works in Progress in-person sessions are on pause for the summer. We are still hosting virtual sessions, which can be found on our events calendar here. Thank you so much for your understanding!
Works in Progress is Hugo House's semi-monthly open mic series inclusive of diverse formats and storytelling crafts. Read your work—poetry, fiction, essays, memoirs, plays, music, comedy, and more—and connect with our literary community!
We are actively cultivating a low-pressure, welcoming environment for readers and guests of all skill levels and literary experience. We especially encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and other marginalized voices to take the mic at Works in Progress.
Join us before the open mic portion of the event for our Works In Progress community writing group! Doors to the Salon will now open at 5:00 pm PT for interested writers who want to come early, carve out some sacred writing time, and share ideas on craft and content. This open, unstructured space is intended to create opportunities for folks to build community and enjoy some quality time writing their own works-in-progress! Anticipate complimentary donuts and coffee!
Open Mic Guidelines
- Reading is open to all!
- You don’t have to read. Guests and audience members are encouraged to attend.
- Sign-up for open mic begins at 5:00pm and will be rolling up until event start at 7:00pm. Only one sign-up per person.
- The open mic is divided into two sets of readings.
- There is a brief intermission approx. 15 minutes between the two groups of readers.
- All 25 reading slots will be randomly selected from a fishbowl.
- Each reader has 5 minutes to read. Be mindful of your excerpt length and practice before hand if you can!
We encourage your feedback on how we can continue to build an inclusive and engaging environment at these events! Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.