Works in Progress (In-Person)
Works in Progress is Hugo House's open mic series inclusive of diverse formats and storytelling crafts. Read your work—poetry, fiction, essays, memoirs, plays, music, comedy, and more—and connect with our literary community!
Works in Progress is a low-pressure, welcoming environment for readers and guests of all skill levels and literary experience. We especially encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA2S+, and other marginalized voices to take the mic!
Doors open at 6 pm PT for interested writers who want to come early, carve out some sacred writing time, and share ideas on craft and content. This open, unstructured space is intended to create opportunities for folks to build community and enjoy some quality time writing their own works-in-progress! Anticipate complimentary donuts and coffee!
Open mic begins at 7 pm PT.
– Reading is open to all!
– You don’t have to read. Guests and audience members are encouraged to attend!
– Sign-up for reading begins on-site when doors open at 6 pm and continues until the open mic begins at 7 pm.
– Only one sign-up per person.
– The order for the 20 reading slots will be randomly assigned. You will be notified prior to the reading of your slot.
– Each reader has 5 minutes to read. Be mindful of your excerpt length, and practice beforehand if you can!
Works in Progress is sustained through suggested donations from attendees. Please consider making a donation to Hugo House and the Works in Progress open mic program when you register. Thank you!The House bar will be open to serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.