MenuSkip to content
- Events & Programs
Intermediate | Each week we will explore themes such as mindfulness, the 5 senses, body parts, desire, memory, trauma, love, and death as we write and share together from in-class prompts. We will also briefly experiment with drawing and meditation exercises paired with writing, as a way to access our senses and memories from new perspectives. No art or meditation experience necessary; just come with your curiosity and an open mind.
Readings will draw from lyric essays and memoir excerpts that utilize juxtaposition, braided structures, and risk-taking from authors such as Roxanne Gay, Sherman Alexie, Melissa Febos, Brenda Miller, and Lidia Yuknavitch. Students may receive feedback on their work from the instructor and optionally from the entire class during the final weeks in a supportive and inclusive workshop environment.
Week-by-Week Themes and Readings:
1. Mindfulness, Vulnerability, and The Five Senses | Readings: Melissa Febos Brenda Miller
2. Braided Essays and Body Parts | Readings: Claire Dederer and Febos
3. Second Person, Desire, and Aging | Readings: Roxanne Gay and Elizabeth Horneber
4. Body Maps, Shapes, and Wounds | Readings: Sherman Alexie
5. Mothers, Memories, and Lineages | Readings: Nicole Walker and Lidia Yuknavitch
6. The Earth Our Body and Body Violence | Readings: Student Papers or TBD
7. The Body of Solitude and Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
8. The Body of Community and Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
9. Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
10. Writing Workshop and Final Reflections
Class Type: 10 SessionsNonfiction
Start Date: 01/30/2018
End Date: 04/03/2018
Days of the Week: Tuesday
Time: 7:10 pm – 9:10 pm
Minimum Class Size: 5
Maximum Class Size: 15
Become a member >
$460.00 General Price:
Class has begun, registration is closed.
Anne Liu Kellor’s essays have appeared in Longreads, The New England Review, Entropy, Fourth Genre, Normal School, Vela Magazine, Literary Mama, The International Examiner, and more. She has been awarded grants and residencies from Seventh Wave, Hedgebrook, Jack Straw, 4Culture, and Hypatia-in-the-Woods. Her memoir, Heart Radical, is forthcoming in 2021.