Youth Speaks Seattle Preliminary Slam #3—CANCELLED
This event has been cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus.
Every year Youth Speaks Seattle hosts 3 preliminary slams leading up to a Grand Slam. These slams provide an energetic stage, mic, and audience to witness and celebrate young people’s voices in a world where they are often silenced.
“THE POINT IS NOT THE POINTS, THE POINT IS THE POETRY.”
That’s what we chant at every slam. We believe scores do not have the power to define us or our experiences. We recognize that scores can have an impact on participating poets but they are not the reason we come together. We use the slam format as a tool to gather community and ignite a space of artistry, bravery, truth, and social change.
- Bring 3 original poems to perform, one for each round you potentially compete in.
- Each poem must be under 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Use of props, costumes, or musical accompaniment is prohibited.
- Our youth slam is open to participants 13-19 years old
- The poems are judged on a scale from 1-10
The finalists from each preliminary slam will compete in our Grand Slam, where we determine a 5 person slam team to represent Youth Speaks Seattle at Brave New Voices, an international youth poetry competition.