What kinds of activities will happen during the session? Do all of the sessions cover the same material?
Scribes sessions are facilitated by one or two teaching artists who design customized curriculum for their group. Depending on the session, you’ll read and discuss poems, essays, short stories, scripts, comics, etc; brainstorm, free-write and story map; write and edit; and share your work with the community.
What’s the daily schedule like?
Scribes camps will start at 10 am and end at 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Every group takes a one-hour lunch break around noon.
Is this a writing camp to help me get into a college? What kind of writing will I learn?
Hugo House fosters a love of writing and reading. We do not organize around school curriculum or focus camp goals on preparing students for standardized tests or college admissions essays. Our instructors strive to help you tap into your creativity, develop your craft of writing, and become a more astute reader.
Do I need to be at a certain skill level to attend?
Nope! Hugo House seeks to open the literary world to everyone who loves books or has a drive to write. We are honored to work with writers of all skill levels, ages, and backgrounds.
Do I need any special supplies?
You’ll need to have paper or a notebook, pens and pencils on hand. You’ll also need to be able to connect to Zoom.
What are the COVID-19 protocols for in-person Scribes?
- Scribes teaching artists and Hugo House staff will be vaccinated.
- Only one Scribes camp will take place inside the Hugo House building for the entire week, and it will be the only program that is in-person during that time.
- Camp registration is limited to 12 students max for in-person camps.
- The building will not be open to any visitors, parents/guardians, siblings, etc. Only Hugo House staff, Scribes teachers, and Scribes students will be allowed inside the building while camp is in session.
- All personnel (students, teachers, staff) will be required to take a health screening prior to entering the building (temperature check, verbal questionnaire)
- Drop-off and pick-up will take place outside of the building.
- All personnel inside the building will be required to follow social distancing guidelines, including wearing masks at all times (except when eating), washing and sanitizing hands, etc.
- Windows will be open as much as possible to assist with ventilation.
- Breaks for snacks and lunch will take place outside as much as possible.
- Hugo House staff will perform rigorous cleaning in compliance with CDC guidelines.
Protocols will be updated as we progress and learn more.
All in-person camps will move online if needed to comply with any government issued mandate/change and/or for the safety of all personnel.
I’d like to pay what I can. How do I do that?
Every camp offers the option to pay at 30%, 60%, 90%, or 100% of the registration amount. Just click on the pay option you prefer when you register online! If you are having trouble, please contact us at (206) 322-7030. We can help you register over the phone.
The session I want is full/registration is no longer available. Is there a waitlist?
Once a session fills, you can sign up for a waitlist spot online. As spots open, we will contact you on a first-come first-served basis.
Tuition & Scholarships
How do I know if I qualify for a scholarship?
We have limited need-based scholarships available, and will do our very best to ensure our programming is accessible to everyone, regardless of financial conditions. Please see the scholarship application for more information.
How do I apply for a scholarship? Will my spot be reserved?
Please submit a scholarship application. Once we receive your application, a spot will be reserved for your Scribe in the session of their choosing while we review your application.
Cancellations & Refunds
If you need to cancel or transfer a Scribes registration, the following schedule applies:
- 4 weeks before the session start date, a refund will be issued less a $72.50 fee (or 20% of tuition if paid on the sliding scale).
- 4 weeks before the session start date, transfers to another session may be issued depending on session availability.
- 22 days or less before a session start date, refunds or transfers are not available.
If you wish to transfer a Scribe into a full session, they can be added to the waitlist. If a spot hasn’t opened up by that session’s refund deadline, however, a refund will be issued less a $72.50 fee. Please contact email@example.com for any cancellations or transfers.
Hugo House cannot provide refunds, transfers, or offer makeup sessions for sessions a Scribe might miss. If Hugo House has to cancel a session, you will receive a full refund.